Monday 24 May 2010

Picking a Wedding Theme

If you are a typical girl, you have probably dreamed about and planned your wedding since you were a little girl. However, your plans likely changed as you grew older and your tastes matured. The strategies you used when planning your wedding as a little girl though are probably the exact same ones you should use when planning your wedding today. Here are some helpful tips when beginning to plan your big day.

Having a theme for your wedding is so very helpful to guide you in choosing items that complement each other. The beauty of a theme is its versatility - you can base your wedding around a color, flower, time period, style, animal, or anything else you can think of. For example, when I was little, I used to love looking through the Wilton cake catalogs my mother had. My favorites were of course the wedding cakes and I chose a classic one that I loved. Years later, after I got engaged, I revisited the picture of that same cake and found that it was the colors that I really loved when I was a little girl, and still liked as an adult. I also had a particular flower that I knew I wanted in my wedding bouquet: lilacs. They had grown outside my window when I was little and I associated them with all my girlish romantic dreams. Having these two items made it much easier to plan my wedding - I chose a spring time date when I knew lilacs would be in blossom and easily obtained and I picked out bridesmaids dresses based on the colors of my wedding cake.

So, how do you choose a theme? It's very simple. Start by brainstorming with your fiancée about your favorites. List everything you can think of: favorite flower, favorite song, favorite food, etc. and then look at your choices with your wedding in mind. Do you both love Mexican food? Then consider if a more casual western theme or formal Mexican wedding theme appeals to you. Is there a movie you and your fiancée are avid fans of? Can you incorporate it into your wedding? Even in you and your fiancée seem to have nothing in common, listing out your favorites will probably give you a great starting place to begin thinking about what is meaningful to you and what you want to add to your wedding celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment